- Hours: Part-time, 14 hours per week (0.4 FTE).
- Contract: Permanent.
- Starting salary: £23,616 pro rata plus benefits (pay scale £23,616 – £26,741).
- Probation: 6 months.
- 25 flexible leave days plus 10 public holidays pro rata, increasing to 27 days after 5 years of service.
- Hybrid working.
- 4% matched contribution workplace pension scheme.
- Laptop and mobile phone for all staff.
As part of an exciting new partnership project with our colleagues at Barnardo’s Scotland, the Families Outside Family Support Worker will work to improve the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people and their families in Edinburgh. We will address the social and family adversities that children and young people who have a family member in prison face to ensure they are safe, healthy, included, and achieving at home, school, and in the community.
Working alongside colleagues from both Families Outside and Barnardo’s, our Family Support Worker will:
- Support children, young people, and families at home and in their community via 1:1, family, and group work.
- Work closely with key professionals including prison staff and prison visitor centre staff to provide advice, information, and guidance to families and professionals on a range of issues.
- Support a caseload and address individual and family needs, referring to appropriate local services (i.e. housing, health, welfare) as required.
- Support families to be involved in relevant case conferences and decision-making fora where possible.
We are looking for an individual who is:
- Experienced in working with and alongside children, young people, and families in creative and flexible ways.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic, but also passionate about developing and delivering quality, engaging, and fun activities that are accessible to children and young people across Edinburgh.
- Confident in managing risk and ensuring children and young people are safe at home and in the community.
- Focused on the rights of children and young people in their work and all they do.
- Trauma-informed and understands the impact of imprisonment upon children, young people, and families.
- Confident in working within GIRFEC approaches and is an effective contributor to multi-agency work with other professionals to meet the needs of children, young people, and families.
Families Outside is the only national charity in Scotland that works solely to support families affected by imprisonment. Imprisonment can often have a huge impact on the things that matter most to families: money and secure housing, safe and connected relationships at home and in the community, and the emotional health and wellbeing of families. Families Outside is dedicated to providing a range of practical, social, and emotional support to people with someone in prison that are relationship-based, prison-aware, and family-focused.
How to apply
Or, if you prefer, you can use the downloads below and email an application to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be reviewing applications as we receive them and contacting suitable applicants.
For more information on the post, telephone 0131 557 9800 or email: email@example.com
12.00pm, Monday 22nd August 2022.
Tuesday, 30th August 2022.