Training for Professionals
Families Outside CPD Accredited Training Modules
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries
Families Outside’s Training is aimed at all professionals whose role means they come into contact with families, and who feel that they would benefit from being able to better support families who are affected by imprisonment.
It is recognised that families can play an important role in supporting the person in prison and preventing reoffending, but they have their own needs too and are deserving of support in their own right.
Our training modules are designed to provide an understanding of the impact on children and families when a family member is sent to prison. The modules also look at what support families might need at different stages of the criminal justice process – whether someone’s relative has just been arrested, is serving a prison sentence or is due for release.
The modules also aim to develop the knowledge and skills of participants and encourage them to consider their own current practice and how this could be further improved to support children and families affected by imprisonment using their service, or who are in contact with their organisation.
The training modules aim to incorporate a mix of learning styles, and offer opportunities to interact with other participants from different professional backgrounds and sectors.
The Families Outside: Families Affected by Imprisonment training is designed to raise awareness of the impact imprisonment has on families, improve practice and develop the knowledge and skills of participants required when supporting families affected by imprisonment. Attendance at this training will count towards continuous professional development.
The training consists of three modules:
- Module 1 – Understanding the issues for families affected by imprisonment
- Learn about the wide ranging issues that can affect families with a family member in prison
- Hear examples of how a family might be affected at each stage of the criminal justice process
- Learn how to apply this knowledge when supporting families affected by imprisonment
- Module 2 – Supporting children and young people who have a family member in prison
- Understand the varying needs of children and young people with a family member in prison
- Identify policies to support and protect children who are affected by imprisonment
- Apply this knowledge when supporting children and young people who are affected by imprisonment or know how to seek appropriate support
- Module 3 – Prison and prison visiting
- Understand the functions and key elements of the Scottish prison estate
- Recognise the importance of maintaining family contact
- Identify support available for families within a prison environment
Attendance at our modules will aim to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Understand the impact imprisonment has on the whole family in order to reduce stigma and social isolation
- Improve the overall experience for families, including children and young people, navigating through the criminal justice process from arrest to release
You can choose to attend 1, 2 or all 3 modules. Each module is priced at £55 per person, per module.
We deliver training both online via Microsoft Teams and face to face in community settings.